Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Gina's Orzo Salad-from Down Home with the Neely's


It is Saturday morning, and I do what I normally like to do to wake up prior to gym. I put the coffee on and drink it while watching a show on the Food Network. I was intrigued by a recipe on the show "Down Home with the Neely’s," which showed a recipe called Gina's Orzo Salad. It looked delicious. I have never cooked with orzo too. It combined fresh herbs such as basil and mint. I also happen to have a large amount of mint in our yard growing. This is an easy, summer friendly, fresh recipe ready for you to try! Enjoy!
Note: I did not add onions to my dish, but the recipe suggests 1 small onion chopped.

Ingredients:
- 1pound orzo
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 lemons, juiced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 jar sun-dried tomato
- 1 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1 medium red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint leaves
- 5 ounces crumbled feta cheese

Directions:
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over medium heat. Add the orzo and cook until tender yet still firm, about 8 to 10 minutes. Drain into a colander and let cool.

2. Whisk together the olive oil and lemon juice in a large serving bowl. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.

3. Add the cooled orzo, cherry tomatoes, almonds, red onion, chopped pepper, basil, mint, and feta.

4. Toss together and taste for seasoning. Add salt and pepper, if needed. Serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment